I'm long-winded. I'm warning you. But I hope you have some fun reading what's going on with us. I sure have fun writing these and catching up with y'all also.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

New Casserole Recipes

  Anyone else absolutely love Chicken Cordon Bleu? I mean, what a dish, right? Two proteins married with cheese and sauce. What's not to love?

  I remember when my mom cooked it for the first time. I mean, it definitely was a homemade version--not with a complicated hollandaise or anything. And I turned up my nose. But Mom brought out the guns and by golly if I wasn't going to at least taste it. And with that it became a family favorite requested frequently.

  And then there is Chicken Cordon Bleu day in the MTC that is looked forward to and every bite is savored.

  And so I cook it every so often--my mom's recipe. I think a few months ago I tried a new recipe that was breaded. But it wasn't memorable. And then I came across a recipe book of 40 recipes with shredded chicken (the idea is to use a rotisserie chicken to make cooking easier). I made an enchilada casserole a week or two ago that was also delicious and easy because it was in one pan. So in that spirit, I thought: why not make Chicken Cordon Bleu easier? I love it, but rolling up the chicken and using toothpicks is fun, but not easy. 

  So this recipe takes in 3-4 recipes and combines them. Of course I didn't measure anything, (something I don't do much anymore in all my savory cooking) so I'm kind of guessing here on amounts. So if you make this, measuring is optional and just do what looks good. But at least this will give you an idea.

  So here it is: my first recipe creation. (All I've done before is switch an ingredient or two or leave or add, etc. This I feel like is a true collaboration.)


Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Grill, rest, then shred/chop 2 chicken breasts or use rotisserie chicken. (Yield about 2 cups.)
Mix the sauce in a 9x9 casserole dish (or something comparable):
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 TBL Dijon Mustard
1 TBL Lemon Juice
Set half of the sauce aside (like in the empty can).
Layer chicken on top of sauce.
Chop 5 ounces ham and layer on top of the chicken.
Shred 1 1/2 cups Swiss Cheese and layer on top of ham.
Spread the rest of the sauce on top of cheese.
Mix 2 TBL melted butter and 1/4 cup water with 1 box Chicken Stuffing and fluff with a fork. Spread on top of sauce.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn oven up to 400 degrees and bake about 5 minutes more, or until casserole is bubbly and crumbs are brown on top.
Serve with Rice A Roni, broccoli, salad, and garlic bread! Serves about 6.


And if you're curious to that enchilada recipe that I adapted:

Chicken Enchilada Casserole


Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray 13x9 casserole dish.
Pour and mix the sauce directly in the pan: 
1 can green enchilada sauce
3/4 cup green salsa
1 cup sour cream
1 4 oz can green chilies
Grill, rest, then shred/chop 2 chicken breasts or use rotisserie chicken. (Yield about 2 cups.)
Pour the chicken into the pan along with 1 can Black Beans (rinsed), 1 cup diced Red Onion, and 9 Corn Tortillas torn into 1 inch pieces. Mix.
Top with 2 cups shredded Pepperjack cheese (or something of your choice as this makes it too spicy for kids).

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is how you like it.
Serve with fresh lettuce and tomato. Serves 8-10. 



No comments:

Post a Comment