I'm long-winded. I'm warning you. But I hope you have some fun reading what's going on with us. I sure have fun writing these and catching up with y'all also.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Welcome Claire Anne Kellis

I don't think I realized that I hadn't blogged about Claire and her start into the world yet. After a whole month of freaking out that she could be born anytime and what would we do with Ted, I headed to the hospital on March 11th to be induced. Doc and us gave the hospital the okay to schedule us for induction the week before. Derrick found out that he couldn't get a sub, but the day before, teachers at his school agreed to cover his classes. So my parents arrived Thursday night and stayed with Ted all Friday so that Derrick could be with me in the hospital. Ted did great so did my parents. Der went home and brought them all to the hospital that evening to meet baby sister.

I arrived at the hospital at 7:30am and got set up with pitocin/oxytocin and penicillin because I am a carrier for a disease that baby has the potential to pick up without me being on the antibiotic and the other to start the contractions. Doctor came at 10:30 to break my water. By 12:15pm I was only dilated 5.5 cm and the nurse said I would probably dilate 2 cm per hour. She turned down my pitocin and said we would probably have a few more hours.
At this point I was breathing through my contractions and they were increasing in pain and I was uncomfortable. So Der and I talked it over and I decided to go ahead and get the epidural.
30 minutes later, I am all but passed out in the most unbelievable pain I have ever felt and my body is shutting down and I can't talk or move on my own. The epidural was starting to work on one side, but not the other. After 3 doses of the juice, and by 1:45 I was finally numb enough that the nurse checked and I was fully dilated. So I dilated 4.5 cm in about an hour!!! AH! The doctor walked in right then anyway and I gave a practice push and they said we were ready to go. Two pushes later and a snip and she was there!

The nurse and doctor didn't believe me that I didn't want to hold the baby until after they cleaned her up a bit. The thing is, I have to learn to love my baby and I don't like being dirty. Like I can't stand my toddler having a crusty nose or dirty hands or if my husband has a zit. So meeting my baby that just put me through a ton of pain and getting me all dirty isn't a good first impression. Plus, Doc had to stitch me up anyway. 
So 1:55pm
And like a 1/2 hour later. See her hand is purple?

She was so warm.

This is my nurse. She's in my ward. :)
Dad loves cuddles.
Derrick surprised me with how loving and supportive he was yet again through the delivery. I have one great man right there. I asked him later if I hurt him with how hard I squeezed his hands. He chuckled. :)

Ted didn't really want to be in the hospital or didn't like that I wasn't mobile yet or who knows what. But we asked him where the baby was and he pointed right to her. He didn't stay too long.
I just have to get to know baby and learn to love her. It's not hard when she is so helpless and cuddly and loving.



The swing has since moved because Teddy goes over to it and tries to pick up Claire. He likes to point out her eyes and her mouth.

Our birth announcement:

A morning on my own means both kids in bed while watching Daniel Tiger and eating breakfast. :)
First nap on my own and I didn't know what to do or how to it. What to do with Claire while I spend one-on-one with Ted and still hear if Claire needed me. So we napped on the couch together.

Dad can wear baby too!

He's not so gentle, but now we are learning that word. :)






Grandma helping Teddy hold Claire:

Four generations of girls:

Claire met her other grandparents, but I forgot to get a picture. And I can't find a picture of Claire with grandpa Dave. He sure is the child whisperer though and was a pro at getting both kids to sleep during his visit!

Family picture for Easter:
My baby girl:

Cuddling Momma:

So there is lots of laundry and that gets frustrating, but overall it's not too difficult yet. I'm even figuring out how to leave the house with both kids by myself for errands and walks. I've now been on a few walks, visiting teaching, and to Costco. 

It sure was easier when Grandma and Grandpa were visiting as they did all the shopping, cooking, and dishes, but it's really not too bad when both kids are asleep from 1-4 and Claire sleeps a lot.

Claire is named for Clara Savage Abbott, my Dad's grandmother.

Something special is that my mother birthed her 2nd child, a daughter, 34 years earlier on March 11th. It was and is and will be really neat to share that with her.

My favorite thing about Claire is that she is a good sleeper. Also she has the cutest face when she has her mouth open and spins her head around looking for milk. 

I also like feeling like I know what I'm doing this time around. :)

My favorite thing about Ted is that he runs to Claire when he hears her make noises and wants to see, touch, or hold her. It's really cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment