I'm long-winded. I'm warning you. But I hope you have some fun reading what's going on with us. I sure have fun writing these and catching up with y'all also.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Recipe Share

Chicken Fiesta Soup
  I have this recipe in a Slow Cooker Cookbook I got from a used bookstore. This one peeked my interest because it called for yellow squash and zucchini, of which I have tons. I found it typed online:

http://crockpot.betterrecipes.com/crockpot-chicken-fiesta-soup.html

  I used leftovers of some homemade cafe rio chicken I made (a pork recipe from Our Best Bites--recipe not available online from what I can tell), which left a sweet taste to the soup because of the brown sugar. I would suggest searing the chicken and then cooking it first in the crockpot with the seasonings and enchilada sauce to get it really flavorful, and then adding the other ingredients. It does not need to cook for longer than an hour once the chicken is cooked, I would say.
  I also fried up the onions, garlic, and squashes before adding them to the soup. That's just a personal choice though.
  And you can usually throw anything you have left over in soups like this--I had some homemade salsa and little bit of bell pepper that I threw in.


Southwest Corn and Bean Chowder
  This recipe is from a 400 calorie cookbook I have (purchased when my husband told me that I wasn't cooking very healthy). I also found it online:
http://www.jsonline.com/features/recipes/133909328.html

  This one just has great flavor! I'm going to make it with corn casserole, cheese optional: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/corn-casserole-recipe.html

  I guess I'm into soups right now because I feel like they are cheaper and hey, most of the time all you need is a knife, cutting board, chopper, and the pot. That sounds like a lot less cleaning!!! 


Park City Stew
  I also made my mom's Park City Stew when I found stew meat on sale in the day old bin or whatever it is in Smith's (Kroger). Amazingly, I also found that recipe online:
http://www.onelovelylife.com/park-city-stew/
I love this flavor! This time I also threw in some mushrooms, but you want to throw them in towards the end of cooking or they will cook way too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment