I'm long-winded. I'm warning you. But I hope you have some fun reading what's going on with us. I sure have fun writing these and catching up with y'all also.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Christmas and New Years in Texas

  Yup, we spent two weeks away from home and 4 days driving to be in Houston for Christmas and New Years. Ted did better on the way home than there, but he really didn't cry much thanks to the fact that he plays with toys more now and eats cheerios and puffs.
  The worst thing about the vacation: I didn't really spend much time with Der and Izzy ran away twice. The best thing: we got to do so many fun things! (In no particular order):

1. We both met up with a few friends to catch up.
2. Ate real Texas BBQ.
3. Ate at Panera--thanks to them for showing commercials in Utah when there are no Panera restaurants here! AH! They are so rude. I've been salivating for months.
4. Stopped at my brother's place in Fort Worth and spent an hour there.
5. Played tennis several times--doubles and drill with my mom's coach. It is so nice that it comes back so easily!
6. I got to prepare the Christmas turkey just how I like it. :)
7. Sewed two sleepers for Ted with the help of my mom.
8. Made lemon meringue pie from scratch.
9. Ate spritz cookies and I made such a big deal about them that my mom gave me a cookie spritz maker for Christmas!
10. Teddy got some new toys--cars, a thing that makes noise when you hit and and stuff, and Der cut him some blocks on my dad's table saw. Oh and a bike seat.
11. I got a Jesus picture framed for my house.
12. We played games and more games! We own Thurn and Taxis now.
13. Teddy slept pretty well and let Daddy put him to sleep!
14. For several days and nights, my brother's family was in the same house and we had lots of fun and our kids did too!

  Honestly, it gets pretty crazy with 14 grandkids with most under 6 years old. It is loud and busy and hectic. And sometimes stuff gets on my nerves like jokes that are more hurtful than funny. But this trip was better than others. I didn't even fight with my Mom at all. It's funny how my perspective is so different now that I live away from everyone and my husband is very different from the Shurtliffs. So I don't know...sometimes I think it's good that I live so far away. 

  I think New Years is my favorite holiday to be with my family. I love the appetizers that we put together. I love the pizza appetizer we make, and my sister made baked ham sandwiches, we had avocado ranch dip from Chili's, my other sister made 7 layer dip, pineapple dip, we also had fondue, a peanut butter cheese ball, etc, etc, etc!!! My mom sent me off with a container of the Chili's dip and I ate the whole thing by myself while sitting in traffic the next day. I also tok two pieces of pie and ate them for breakfast the next day of our car trip home. That was how I still got to eat all the yummies, but I spread them out so I didn't eat too much. We played games all night.

  I was super nervous, rather than excited, to give my brother's family their gift. I put so much time into it and I thought it could be useful and convenient and a time and stress saver, so I thought it was a really great gift. I gave them two games they could play with their kids, and then I gave them some file folders and "recipe cards" for FHE. I typed out 54 different lesson ideas that have a song and references. Some have an activity idea or a file folder of some things to go with the lesson. Most go along with the Faith in God program for their 9 year old son. Their daughter doesn't turn 8 for another year I think though. Anyway, it turned out. I put it all in a file folder container with a True to the Faith book, pencils and scrap pad, and dress up materials.

  Anyway, all in all, a great road trip and vacation! You can't replace the company, the food, the games, and the cheer! Next time, I need to remember to bring shorts though and no sweaters. I guess my body has acclimated because I was super hot!

2 comments:

  1. We loved that you came and we were all together! I can't wait to see you again this summer hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so nice seeing you guys over the holidays! Teddy has the cutest smile and my kids just loved interacting with him! Thanks again for the awesome FHE kit - - we LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete